top of page

Match Report

WSL: Arsenal v West Ham

Dagny Brynjarsdottir breaks Arsenal's clean sheet record before the Gunners bounce back to steal a 3-1 victory

Gareth Taylor Man City_edited.jpg

Getty | Alex Burstow

31 October 2022

Arsenal set a new Women’s Super League record of 13 successive wins when they came from behind to beat West Ham 3-1 on Sunday evening.  Dagny Brynjarsdottir had given West Ham the lead in the first half, before Jordan Nobbs equalised for the home side two minutes after coming on for the injured Kim Little.  Stina Blackstenous and Frida Maanum added goals for the Gunners during the second half to seal the victory.

Arsenal had slipped down to third in the league before the start of the match after wins for Manchester United and Chelsea earlier on Sunday and had to win by three goals to go back top.  It was West Ham though who had the first chance of the match when Brynjarsdottir saw her header from a corner saved.  West Ham defended well in the early stages, and they had another opportunity in the 20th minute but former Arsenal player Lisa Evans sent her shot wide.

Arsenal’s first effort at goal came in the 23rd minute when Katie McCabe’s fierce shot went wide.  West Ham did have the ball in the net in the 27th minute but Brynjarsdottir’s header was disallowed. Not sure for what reason though?!  Caitlin Foord’s shot from 25-yards was caught by Sophie Hillyerd, who was making her first start in goal for the Hammers.

Arsenal were causing some of their own problems when trying to play out from the back, and it was a defensive mistake that led to West Ham taking the lead in the 35th minute.  Steph Catley’s poor back-pass hit the post and Brynjarsdottir was first the rebound to score her fourth league goal of the season from close range.  This ended Arsenal’s record run of 10 consecutive WSL games without letting a goal in. 

There was a bit of an edge to the game, and a good atmosphere with a sold-out crowd of 3,988 at Meadow Park watching.  Hillyerd made a good save to keep out a Beth Mead shot in the 38th minute.  Five minutes before the break, Arsenal captain Little picked up an injury and had to be helped from the pitch then stretchered off. 

Nobbs came onto to replace her and two minutes later scored Arsenal’s equaliser.  A corner was cleared only as far as the Gunners midfielder who smashed in a low shot from about 15-yards.

Arsenal had an opportunity to go in further ahead before half time but Foord saw her shot saved as the sides went in level.  They had a good chance in the 52nd minute but Blackstenius’ shot was pushed away by Hillyerd then Foord put the rebound into the side netting.

The home side did go ahead a minute later.  Catley swung in a free-kick that Blackstenius volleyed into the net from 6-yards.

Honoka Hayashi shot over for West Ham in the 55th minute as they looked to quickly equalise.  At the other end, Beth Mead sent a cross fizzing across the goal in the 65th minute which was put behind for a corner. 

The Gunners extended their lead in the 70th minute.  McCabe crossed and Maanum headed in at the far post to finish a move that she had started.

Hillyerd made a few more saves from Lina Hurtig and Jordan Nobbs on what was an impressive performance from the West Ham goalkeeper.  Manuela Zinsberger made a good save of her own as the match entered additional time when she clawed away a shot from Brynjarsdottir. Arsenal had the final chance of the game when Hurtig’s shot was saved then Maanum hit the post.

The win lifts Arsenal up to second in the WSL, behind Manchester United on goal difference.  West Ham drop down to seventh after the weekend’s games.  Next Sunday in the WSL, Arsenal travel to Leicester whilst West Ham take on Brighton at home.


Line ups

Arsenal (4-3-3): Zinsberger, Maritz (Wienroither 72’), Wubben-Moy, Catley, McCabe, Little (c) (Nobbs 40’), Walti, Maanum, Mead, Blackstenius (Miedema 71’), Foord (Hurtig 71’)

Unused Substitutes: Marckese, Beattie, Iwabuchi, Agyemang, Reid

Goals – Nobbs 42’, Blackstenius 53’, Maanum 70’


West Ham United (4-3-3): Hillyerd, Shimizu, Fisk, Stringer (Filis 81’), Smith, Longhurst, Haysahi, Brynjarsdottir (c), Evans (Atkinson 88’), Asseyi, Kyvag (Walker 72’)

Unused substitutes: Flannery, Houssein

Booked – Longhurst 53’, Kyvag 57’, Filis 84’


Referee – Abi Byrne

Attendance – 3,988

bottom of page