top of page

Match Report

WC: Charlton Athletic v London City Lionesses

London City clinch a 4-3 win over the Addicks in South London derby

Gareth Taylor Man City_edited.jpg

Charlton Athletic

31 August 2022

London City Lionesses beat their local rivals 4-3 on Sunday afternoon at The Oakwood.

The away side took a two-goal lead before Charlton came back to level things up. The Lionesses scored another two, and after a long break whilst Charlotte Fleming received treatment, Charlton scored their third deep into additional time.

Charlton had won their opening game 2-0 against Southampton and Karen Hills kept the same starting eleven for this match. London City Lionesses had lost their first game 0-1 against Crystal Palace and Melissa Phillips made three changes with Lois Joel, Lucy Fitzgerald and Charlotte Fleming coming in for Grace Neville, Lois Heuchan and Sarah Ewens.

The home side had the first opportunity of the match in the 2nd minute when Heidi Logan shot wide. London City Lionesses took the lead in the 11th minute when the ball was crossed in by Lucy Fitzgerald and Jamie-Lee Napier finished from close range.

Four minutes later, Atlanta Primus saw her shot saved. From the resulting corner, the ball reached Primus who turned and shot low into the net from around 12 yards to make in 2-0.

Rodgers saw a shot blocked for the Lionesses, whilst at the other end Beth Roe sent a free kick well over for Charlton.

The home side were awarded a penalty in the 30th minute when Roe was brought down in the area by Karin Muya. Emily Simpkins stepped up to take and score her second penalty of the season.

Angela Addison tested Shae Yanez with a long range shot that was saved by the Lionesses keeper who was making her 50th appearance for the club.

The Lionesses had the best of the other chances before half time with Harley Bennett heading wide, Primus causing Charlton problems whilst they were trying to play out from the back, and seeing one effort caught by Sian Rogers as it was looping towards goal, and Fleming having a long range shot saved.

Five minutes into the second half, Lily Agg shot wide for the Lionesses from about 8 yards out with only the keeper to beat.

Charlton equalised after 55 minutes when Emma Follis put in a low cross that bounced out off a defender, but Follis was first to the loose ball and finished low into the corner of the goal.

The away side almost regained the lead four minutes later when Napier shot just wide from the edge of the area.

The Lionesses did re-take the in the 63rd minute when after her first effort was blocked, Amy Rodgers scored with a stunning strike into the top corner from around 25 yards out.

Napier sent in a deep cross that Lucy Shepherd was just unable to get on the end of for the Lionesses in the 68th minute, and a minute later, Follis sent a shot wide for Charlton.

It was 4-2 to London City Lionesses in the 74th minute when following a scramble from a corner, Agg finished from close range.

Freda Ayisi saw her free kick for Charlton caught by Yanez in the 87th minute as The Addicks looked to come back again.

Five additional minutes were signalled, and during these Charlotte Fleming went down with a nasty looking injury. There was an almost 20-minute hold up whilst she was treated on the pitch and stretched off to a waiting ambulance. Hoping Charlotte can make a quick and full recovery.

When the game restarted, Charlton did get a goal back when Roe crossed and Corinne Henson backheeled the ball into the net from around 6 yards.

The final whistle went shortly after, and this result leaves both sides on three points after two games. After the international break, Charlton’s next game is away to Coventry United, whilst London City Lionesses face Bristol City at home.

Line ups

Charlton Athletic: Rogers, Roe, Godfrey, Skeels, O’Rourke, Simpkins (Henson 82’), Ross (N’Dow 46’), Logan (Ayisi 46’), Follis, Addison, Johnson (Rutherford 64’)

Unused substitutes: Soper, Bashford

Goals: Simpkins 30’ (pen), Follis 55’, Henson 90’+24’

London City Lionesses: Yanez, Joel, Nolan, Bennett, Fitzgerald, Fleming (Girasoli 90’+12’), Rodgers, Agg (Kitching 78’), Napier (Hopcroft 78’), Muya (Shepherd 64’), Primus

Unused substitutes: Pedersen, Neville, Heuchan

Goals: Napier 11’, Primus 15’, Rodgers 62’, Agg 74’

Referee – Lauren Impey

Attendance - 553

bottom of page