top of page

Match Report

WC: Bristol City v Southampton

Bristol City draw level with Southampton in front of 3600 strong crowd at Ashton Gate

Gareth Taylor Man City_edited.jpg

via Bristol City

28 September 2022

The points were shared between Bristol City and Southampton as the match between them finished 1-1 on Sunday at Ashton Gate. City took the lead during a first half in which they were the better side when Ffion Morgan scored. Southampton equalised soon after half time with Beth Lumsden scoring the goal. Both sides had chances after that but there were no more goals.

Bristol City came into the match having won their first three games in the Championship, sitting top of the table and get to concede a goal. They made one change from their last match, a 1-0 win over Sunderland, with Ffion Morgan coming in for Jesse Woolley. Southampton had four points from their first three games and had an impressive 2-1 away win against Crystal Palace in their last match. They made two changes from that victory with Alice Griffiths and Ciara Watling replacing Leeta Rutherford and Paige Peake.

Abi Harrison had the first chance for the home side in the 3rd minute but put the effort well wide of target. Harrison had another effort at goal two minutes later which was deflected on its way through and saved by Kayla Rendell. Aimee Palmer had The Robins next opportunity but sent a shot from distance over in the 7h minute.

Bristol City were having chances every couple of minutes in the early stages. A low cross from Emily Syme was put behind for a corner in the 9th minute, and then Shania Hayles was just unable to get a touch on Harrison’s cross in front of goal in the 11th minute. A minute later, Morgan sent a cross onto the roof of the net, and Syme saw an effort go wide another minute on.

Following the first 13 minutes, the game went through a quieter spell chance wise until the 28th minute when Harrison’s shot from 25-yards was saved by Rendell.

Bristol City did take the lead in the 29th minute when Harrison sent a nice through ball to Morgan who took a touch and then sent a right-footed shot into the corner of the net.

They had a chance to make it 2-0 in the 33rd minute when Morgan sent in a cross to Harrison but Rendell made a great save to keep the ball out.

Southampton had their first chance of the match in the 37th minute but Katie Wilkinson saw her long-range shot caught easily by Fran Bentley. There were no more chances in the first half as Bristol City went in at half time deservedly ahead.

Two minutes into the second half, Southampton equalised. Ella Morris put in a lovely cross which was finished first time by Lumsden from about 10-yards out for her first goal for the club and the first conceded by Bristol City this season.

In the 50th minute, the home side had the next chance when Morgan saw an effort blocked after being played through.

Wilkinson shot well wide for The Saints in the 60th minute. Six minutes later, Hayles saw a volleyed effort blocked from close range by Southampton defender Laura Rafferty. The second half was proving to be a lot more even than the first with opportunities at both ends.

Palmer spotted the Southampton goalkeeper off the line in the 69th minute and sent a long-range lob towards goal but Rendell got back to touch the effort onto the crossbar.

Southampton’s next chance came in the 76th minute when Wilkinson turned in the box but the effort was blocked by Lia Cataldo. Bristol City had a couple of penalty appeals for handball turned down in quick succession after that.

Both sides went looking for a winner in the last 10 minutes. Bentley made a good save in the 83rd minute to push behind Lumsden’s low shot from the edge of the area. Five minutes later, Morgan’s shot from 25 yards was easily saved by Rendell. Wilkinson saw a long-range effort blocked in the 90th minute.

The home side had the last chances of the match in additional time. Morgan was played through and manged to get a shot away whilst it looked like she was being pulled back but Rendell rushed out to block it. Then a cross from The Robins went right across goal but no one could get on the end of it. The final whistle went just after that and both sides had to settle for a point. Another good away result for Southampton though. A great attendance of 3,637 had been at Ashton Gate to watch.

The result does keep Bristol City unbeaten and top of the Championship by a point from Charlton and Crystal Palace. Their next league match is away to Sheffield United on the 16th October. Before that, they play Palace at home in the Conti Cup next Sunday. Southampton are in seventh place with five points. They play Coventry United away in the Conti Cup next weekend. Their next league game is on 17th October when they are at home to Birmingham City.

Line ups

Bristol City: Bentley, Bruce, Powell, Layzell, Cataldo, Syme (Teisar 90’+2’), Palmer (c) (C. Bull 72’), Mustaki, Morgan, Harrison, Hayles (Woolley 78’)

Unused substitutes: Clark, Boddy, Hutton, J. Bull, Wilde

Goal – Morgan 29’

Southampton: Rendell, Collett, Rafferty, Parnell (C), Ward (Mott 46’), Morris, Watling (Rutherford 78’), Griffiths, Lloyd-Smith (Wynne 78’), Lumsden (Pusey 90’+2’), Wilkinson (Williams 90’+2’)

Unused substitutes: Harris, Freeland

Goal – Lumsden 47’

Referee – Ella Broad

Attendance – 3,637

bottom of page