top of page

Match Report

UWCL: Chelsea v BK Hacken

BK Hacken frustrate the home crowd as they hold Chelsea to a nil-nil draw

Gareth Taylor Man City_edited.jpg

Ryan Asman

16 December 2023

 It was a frustrating evening for Chelsea as they drew 0-0 against BK Hacken in the UEFA Women’s Champions League at Stamford Bridge on Thursday evening.

Despite having 70% of possession and 22 shots, though only 5 of those on target, the Blues were unable to find the back of the net, being denied by the woodwork twice, the assistant referee’s flag, Hacken goalkeeper Jennifer Falk and some poor finishing.

Chelsea manager Emma Hayes made five changes to the side from the one that lost 4-1 to Arsenal in the WSL on Sunday with Zecira Musovic, Kadeisha Buchanan, Sophie Ingle, Fran Kirby and Guro Reiten coming into the starting eleven.

The hosts started brightly with Reiten and Kirby combining in the early minutes but the ball was put behind for corner by the Hacken defence.

Kirby had a shot that took a touch off a defender and went narrowly wide.  The England international needed treatment on her knee after this but was able to continue.  Sam Kerr volleyed wide following a corner in the 9th minute. 

A nice one-two between Niamh Charles and Kirby finished with the ball being put into the side netting.  Reiten saw an effort blocked by Hacken’s goalie Falk in the 12th minute.  Buchanan headed wide after a scramble after another corner. 

The visitors first opportunity came when they broke with Clarissa Larisey’s effort coming off the foot of Jess Carter and into Musovic’s hands in the 16th minute.

After the frantic start, there was a bit of a quiet spell chance wise, until the 28th minute when Erin Cuthbert’s volley hit the underside of the crossbar, bounced down on the line before being cleared.

Hayes was visibly frustrated in the technical area when Chelsea gave the ball away and Hacken started to break.

In stoppage time, Reiten saw an effort deflected behind.  Chelsea’s first half can perhaps be summed up as producing some nice build up play but no end product.

Cuthbert had first opportunity of the second half, within the first minute of it, but her shot from 30-yards went well over. 

Buchanan made a good tackle to stop Hacken half time substitute Monica Jusu Bah before she could shoot.

Kirby sent a dipping effort onto roof of net in the 56th minute, then a minute later, Charles saw her cross finish in the same place. 

In the 59th minute, Johanna Rytting Kaneryd was denied by the outstretched leg of Falk.  Kerr saw a header from a corner hit the crossbar and bounce away.  Charles then headed over in the 63rd minute.

The loudest cheers of the night were reserved for when Lauren James came onto the pitch in the 64th minute.

Sjoeke Nusken, who had also come on, shot over from just outside the area in the 67th minute.  James then twisted and turned past defenders but no one could get on the end of her cross across the front of goal.

Anna Anvegard put an effort over for the visitors from 25-yards in the 72nd minute.

A James cross was headed into the net by Kerr seconds later but the offside flag was up to save Hacken in what looked like a very close decision.

Buchanan was there again to stop a through ball from the away side.

James’ shot was easily saved.  Even though being on top, the Blues still couldn’t find a breakthrough as the match reached the final 10 minutes.

Nusken’s low cross in the 90th minute didn’t find any of her teammates before being cleared.  The German international then headed a corner wide as the match entered five minutes of stoppage time. 

Falk made another save as she palmed away a low cross from James.  Eve Perisset’s free kick from 25-yards went the wrong side of the post, and this turned out to be the final chance as the final whistle went seconds later.

The drew leaves Chelsea in second place in their Champions League group, two points behind Hacken.  The two sides play each other again next Wednesday in Gothenburg.


Line ups

Chelsea (4-2-3-1): Musovic, Perisset, Buchanan, Carter, Charles, Cuthbert (Nusken 64’), Ingle, Rytting Kaneryd (James 64’), Kirby (Fishel 80’), Reiten (Beever-Jones 74’), Kerr (c)

Unused substitutes: Hampton, Fleming, Mjelde, Brown


BK Hacken (4-2-3-1): Falk, Kosola, Rybrink (c), Luik, Junttila Nelhage, Bergman-Lundin, Fossdalsa Sorensen, Anvegard (Schroder 86’), Kafaji (Grant 90’+3), Sandberg (Jusu Bah 45’), Larisey (Masaka 76’)

Unused substitutes: Geurts, Hoglund Jansson, Johansson, Csiki, Lowing, Wijk


Referee – Esther Staubli

Attendance – 3,300


bottom of page