top of page

Match Report

Gunners delight at the Emirates once again

Manchester United faced a heavy defeat to Arsenal in front of a record breaking Emirates Stadium

Gareth Taylor Man City_edited.jpg

Liam Asman

18 February 2024

Arsenal closed the gap to three points at the top of the Women’s Super League with a 3-1 win over Manchester United in front of a WSL record attendance of 60,160 at the Emirates Stadium on Saturday.

The sides went into the match in third and fourth places in the league and the defeat leaves United’s chances of finishing in the top three and European football next season slim.

Geyse scored an own goal, Cloe Lacasse added a second, then Kim Little scored the third from the penalty spot before half time for the Gunners whilst Lucia Garcia scored a late consolation goal for the Red Devils.

Leah Williamson was missing for the home side with a hamstring injury, with Jonas Eidevall confirming after the match that she is likely to have to withdraw from the Lionesses squad, whilst Leah Galton was named as a substitute for the visitors after being unwell.

The visitors started brightly with Nikita Parris almost getting onto a Laia Codina misplaced pass within the first minute but Sabrina D’Angelo cleared the ball behind for a corner.  Codina nervousness continued in the opening minutes and she committed a foul when she tugged back Geyse and was lucky to avoid a booking.  The resulting free kick was poked wide by Parris but a foul had been given against United. 

Beth Mead put in a dangerous cross that was headed clear as Arsenal had their first opportunity in the 7th minute.  Another cross a few minutes later was put behind for a corner as the Gunners started to take control.

Arsenal took the lead from the resulting Katie McCabe corner when the ball went into her own net off Geyse’s knee. 

In the 17th minute, Mead turned past Gemma Evans but saw her shot deflected wide.  The home sides corners were looking really dangerous, and one went across goal but nobody could get a touch onto it. 

The Gunners were in top now, and a lovely ball forward found Stina Blackstenius whose shot from the edge of the area was deflected into the hands of Mary Earps.   Mead sent a free kick over from 30-yards in the 27th minute after Hannah Blundell had brought down Lacasse.

United looked threatening when they broke quickly but Lotte Wubben-Moy, who had a really good game, got back to make a great tackle on one occasion.  In the 28th minute, Ella Toone saw an effort deflect off Steph Catley and go narrowly wide. 

Lacasse made it 2-0 to Arsenal in the 35th minute when she headed in Katie Zelem’s attempted clearance from close range.

McCabe got booked after shoving Toone before the Irish international was clattered herself seconds later by Evans.

Arsenal were awarded a penalty in the 43rd minute when Evans brought down Mead.  Little scored the penalty low into the net to make it 3-0 to the Gunners before half time.

Both Catley and Mead saw efforts blocked in first half stoppage time. 

United took Evans off at half time, maybe before she was sent off having already been booked and conceding the penalty.

Wubben-Moy made another important tackle early in the second half to stop Geyse.  Codina was the next Arsenal defender who got back to block Geyse’s next run in the 56th minute.  Parris headed over the resulting corner but the offside flag was up anyway.

The hosts first chance of the second period came in the 58th minute when Mead couldn’t get onto McCabe’s whipped cross and Earps gathered.  The United goalkeeper made a good save to stop Blackstenius’ shot in the 61st minute before Mead hit the post with the ball bouncing away.

Arsenal came close to scoring a fourth in the 66th minute when Mead hit the post again, this time her shot deflected off Maya Le Tissier and onto the woodwork.  Two minutes later, Lacasse couldn’t get her shot away and Earps blocked. 

D’Angelo kept out a Parris angled shot in the 71st minute which was the visitors first shot on target in the match.  The Gunners goalkeeper then kept out Rachel William’s effort with her feet after which Catley was caught and needed treatment. 

The tempo died in the latter stages of the match with another lengthy stoppage for Lia Walti to get treatment after she got a head injury. 

Manchester United got a goal back in the sixth minute of additional time when Garcia finished at the far post following a Toone cross.

Arsenal remain in third place but have moved closer to Chelsea and Manchester City above them, whilst Manchester United stay in fourth position, five points ahead of Liverpool and Tottenham Hotspur.


Line ups

Arsenal (4-2-3-1): D’Angelo, McCabe, Codina, Wubben-Moy, Catley (Foord 84’), Walti, Pelova (Cooney-Cross 46’), Mead (Maanum 75’), Little (c) (Miedema 75’), Lacasse, Blackstenius (Russo 66’),

Unused substitutes: Zinsberger, Lia, Reid, Bouhaddi

Goal – Geyse (og) 10’, Lacasse 35’, Little (pen) 44’

Booked – McCabe, Wubben-Moy, Foord


Manchester United (4-2-3-1): Earps, Blundell, Le Tissier, Turner, Evans (Galton 46’), Naalsund (Ladd 70’), Zelem (c), Geyse (Williams 62’), Toone, Garcia, Parris (Malard 78’)

Unused substitutes: Tullis-Joyce, Mannion, Guerrero, Aherne

bottom of page