top of page

Match Report

Conti Cup: Charlton Athletic v Crystal Palace

The Addicks pick up the points in a South London match-up of the Conti Cup

Gareth Taylor Man City_edited.jpg

Charlton Athletic Women

12 January 2023

Charlton beat south London rivals Crystal Palace 2-0 in the Conti Cup on Wednesday evening at The Oakwood.  Emma Follis and Taylor Bell scored the goals during the second half.

Karen Hills included new signing Alex Hennessy in Charlton’s starting line-up.  This was one of five changes from the side that beat Milton Keynes Dons in the FA Cup at the weekend.  Dean Davenport made six changes to Palace’s starting eleven from their 5-1 win over Watford at the weekend in the cup.

There was a strong wind blowing throughout the match, being behind Charlton in the first half.  In the early stages, both sides produced some nice build up but the final ball was lacking.  The visitors had the first opportunity of the game around the 19th minute when Paige Bailey-Gayle’s cross was cleared only as far as Fliss Gibbons whose shot was blocked.  The wind was causing corners to be problematic at both ends with a Charlton one almost drifting straight in.

Hennessy had a shot deflected wide for Charlton. The home side were playing some nice football now and creating chances with Mel Johnson having a shot blocked by Anna Filbey.  Johnson had another effort soon after but this one was saved by Natalia Negri.  The Addicks next chance came when Johnson played in Freda Ayisi but her shot went just the wrong side of the post.  Johnson then saw an effort cleared off the line.

Crystal Palace’s best chances of half came late in it after Bailey-Gayle had switched over to the left side of the pitch.  The Jamaican international sent in a cross that found Polly Doran who played the ball back to Annabel Blanchard but her shot went over.  Charlton did have the ball in the net but it was disallowed for offside.  A Bailey-Gayle cross again lead to a chance for the Eagles but Molly Sharpe this time shot over just before half time.  Goalless at the break.

Bailey-Gayle had the first effort of the second half but it was blocked by a Charlton defender.  Ella Rutherford had two efforts at goal in quick succession for the hosts but the first one was easily caught by Negri and the second one went over. 

There was a delay as Palace’s Ellie Noble received treatment on the pitch before being stretched off.  Wish her a quick and full recovery.  The rain had now started to fall and it wasn’t very nice conditions with the wind blowing it down the pitch. 

Charlton took the lead in the 75th minute when Ayisi kept in the ball in near the goal line, then played the ball back to half-time substitute Follis who finished.

Crystal Palace were denied an equaliser when Jess Gray produced a brilliant save to tip over Sharpe’s volleyed effort.  Soon after, both Elise Hughes and Sharpe were just unable to get on the end of a Bailey-Gayle cross.

Charlton did have the ball in the net again but the referee’s whistle had long gone for a foul.  It was 2-0 in the first minute of stoppage time when Bell finished from close range after Follis initial shot had been saved.

The Addicks 2-0 win sees them move into second position in their Conti Cup group.  Lewes and Bristol City play each other next week to see who wins it. 

Both sides are back in Championship action on Sunday with Charlton travelling to take on Blackburn Rovers whilst Crystal Palace are at home to London City Lionesses.

Line ups

Charlton Athletic: Gray, Johnson (Follis 46’), Simpkins (c) (Mills 90’+3), Ayisi, Hennessy (Henson 65’), Skeels (Ross 46’), Rutherford (Bruton 65’), Bashford, O’Rourke, Roe, Bell

Unused substitutes: Rogers, Addison, Norton, Cook

Goals – Follis 75’, Bell 90’+1

Booked – Bruton 80’


Crystal Palace: Negri, Doran, Johnson (c) (Waldie 46’), Filbey, Gibbons (Reilly 46’), Peplow, Noble (Arthur 65’), Guyatt (Hughes 73’), Bailey-Gayle, Sharpe, Blanchard (Olding 46’)

Unused substitutes: Kitching, Haines


Referee – Kirsty Dowle

bottom of page